Cardi B is off Twitter after fans' response to doll launch
Keeping up with Cardi B just got a little harder. On Friday, March 5, the rapper deactivated her usually prolific Twitter account after fans responded to news of her latest project by demanding new music instead. The new project in question was the release of a doll the rapper said on social media was "inspired by me, created by me, designed by me." Cardi worked with Real Women Are to create the doll, which she said in a statement was, "a chance for me to provide my daughter and other little girls something that looks like them to play with to inspire them." She added, "We're in the White House now, but we're still so far behind in other places. Representation matters." Apparently, it doesn't matter as much as some new tunes to certain fans — even though Cardi's already set new sales and streaming records in the just the last seven months with her latest singles. "I have so much pressure," she told fans in an Instagram Live, imploring them to cut her some slack and let her diversify. "I'm working on a lot … I wanna please my fans, because y'all been asking for something from me for a very long time that I can't say, and I'm doing it for ya," she said. "How am I supposed to be rich? How am I supposed to build my net worth?" she asked critics. As of Friday afternoon, a Twitter search for @iamcardib turned up only a page notifying users that "this account doesn't exist." As for her doll plans, People notes the rapper's currently planning to create more dolls — specifically, dolls inspired by women "in roles traditionally dominated by men."
Keep reading to see which rapper's real-life house provided the palace sets for 'Coming 2 America' …
RELATED: The biggest music moments of 2020
The palace in 'Coming 2 America' is actually Rick Ross' house
House fit for a king? Check! Turns out the royal family's palace in "Coming 2 America" is Rick Ross' actual house. The new sequel to Eddie Murphy's 1988 classic, "Coming To America," takes viewers on a journey to Prince Akeem Joffer's home in the fictional kingdom of Zamunda, where he's learned he has an heir in New York City from that visit back in the '80s. To film the Zamunda scenes, many of which are set on palace grounds, the production team leaned on Rick and his 109-room estate, which in real life is set on 235 acres in Fayetteville, Georgia. Inside, the pad already boasted 12 bedrooms — some of which weere used as royal sleeping quarters in the film — and a dining room ready to seat 100 people, among other over-the-top assets. "That entrance foyer with the big two-story interior and double-winding staircase was perfect," production designer Jefferson Sage tells Yahoo. "Off of that, there were two beautiful big rooms with giant windows and 18-foot ceilings. We used five key spaces that we turned into Zamunda." The main bedroom you see in the film is Rick's actual bedroom — and as a longtime fan of the original "Coming To America," Rick says he loved seeing Eddie and Arsenio hall in costume in his house. "They changed the wallpaper in the dining room so I asked them to keep it up there," he says with a laugh. "Coming 2 America" is streaming now on Amazon Prime.
Alec Baldwin's parking spot scuffle defamation case can go to trial
It's been a busy couple of months for Alec Baldwin, who recently welcomed his sixth and seventh children amid an ongoing social media scandal tied to the heritage of his wife, Hilaria Baldwin. Now, the actor also has a trial to prepare for. This week, a judge ruled Alec's defamation case against Wojciech Cieszkowski can go to trial. Alec and Wojciech got into an altercation over a parking spot in New York City back in 2018. The following year, Wojciech sued Alec for assault, claiming he had punched him in the face during the dustup, and slander, pegged to sarcastic jokes Alec made in retelling his side of the story after the incident. Alec responded by filing a countersuit on grounds of defamation and false imprisonment. Per Yahoo, the false imprisonment claim didn't hold water in court but a judge ruled on Thursday, March 4, that his defamation claim could move forward. Similarly, Wojciech's slander allegation failed to get a green light from the judge, who pointed out whatever Alec has said about the incident were not accusations of a crime but rather "words of frustration with someone's driving." The claims are now set to proceed in court. Alec previously pleaded guilty to harassment in the second degree, for which he was sentenced to anger management classes and to pay a $120 fine. He's continued to deny the assault claim and has said cameras prove he never hit anyone.
Megan Thee Stallion launches Hotties Helping Houston fundraiser to repair storm-damaged homes for seniors, single moms
Real hot girls help their hometowns! Houston native Megan Thee Stallion has launched a campaign to help H-Town seniors and uninsured single moms repair damage done to their homes by Winter Storm Uri. "It is always very important for me to help give back to the city that made me 🤘🏽," Meg wrote on Instagram alongside an announcement about her new Hotties Helping Houston campaign on Thursday, March 4. "Like many of you, I have been devastated by the tragedies that Houston has been struck with," the rapper wrote in the post. She went on to announce she's teamed up with Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee and the National Association of Christian Churches Disaster Services to help rebuild after last month's storm, which saw subzero temperatures and snow, followed by devastating power failures that left Texans across the state without electricity or clean, running water for days and in some cases, weeks. "I am enlisting the help of friends, partners and colleagues to put together a supergroup coalition to raise funds that will rebuild and repair homes at no cost to senior citizens and single mothers," Megan continued. In a press release, she noted that the elderly, as well as single mothers, "are the most vulnerable and often displaced by these kinds of devastating events." Megan then directed fans to her website for more information about Hotties Helping Houston, including links to HelpingHoustonRebuild.org, plus details about how to donate – directly or via Meg's Hotties-branded merch — and volunteer. Meg's fellow music industry Houstonians, Beyonce and Travis Scott, have also launched post-storm assistance programs in recent weeks.
Julia Roberts presents Dr. Anthony Fauci with amfAR's 2021 Award of Courage
For decades, the entertainment industry has come together to celebrate amfAR's AIDS research fundraising efforts at the organization's annual gala. As the coronavirus pandemic continues n 2021, amfAR's also raising funds to support COVID-19 research, which was the focus of this year's virtual gala, held on Thursday, March 4, and streamed on YouTube. In addition to featuring performances by Kelly Clarkson and Rita Ora, amfAR's A Gala For Our Time event included the presentation of the 2021 amfAR Award of Courage, which went to Dr. Anthony Fauci. Julia Roberts, who received the courage award in 2017, presented this year's honor to the nation's top immunologist. "Your calm and your reassurance have left an indelible mark on me and my family, and I know so many families like us," Julia said, according to Variety. "To see you always pound the ship, no matter what the circumstances were … to me, that's true courage." She added that while, "courage means something different to my 13-year-old than it does to me at 53 years old … we are all so beautifully aware of what you have been doing for the entire world, but particularly this country," over the past year. The doctor responded by turning viewers' attention to the "unsung heroes out there … particularly the healthcare workers who very bravely every day put their lives and their safety on the line to take care of terribly ill people," saying, "we're all really part of a team" and "what they do is equally as important as anything that I do."
Duchess Meghan explains why she and Harry are speaking out now in new Oprah Winfrey interview teaser
One year after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle embarked on their final tour as working royals, the couple is preparing to let the world in on previously undisclosed details about their decision to start a new life together in California, via a sit-down with Oprah Winfrey. Airing this weekend, the candid and wide-ranging interview has made headlines all week as new clips are released. The latest extended teaser shows Meghan explaining why she and Harry chose to speak out now after having declined at least one previous interview request from Oprah. Asked what makes this the "right time," Meghan says, "Well, so many things," before going into more detail. "That we're on the other side of a lot of life experience that's happened. And also that we have the ability to make our own choices in a way that I couldn't have said yes to you then. That wasn't my choice to make," she explains in the clip. "It's really liberating to be able to have the right and the privilege in some ways to be able to say yes," Meghan continues as she reflects on the drastic changes she made to her life when she married Harry. "I mean, I'm ready to talk," she says. "To say it for myself. To be able to make a choice on your own and to speak for yourself." "Oprah with Meghan and Harry airs Sunday, March 7 on CBS.
Kim Kardashian talks 'empathy' for Britney Spears, says media scrutiny 'nearly broke' her during first pregnancy
After watching the documentary, "Framing Britney Spears" this week, Kim Kardashian West is reflecting on her own relationship with the press and how traumatized she felt during her first pregnancy. In a long Instagram Story post on Friday, March 5, Kim said she feels "empathy" for Britney after seeing the doc, which shows how many people, including fans and the media, were complicit in factors that contributed to Britney's mental health problems. "The way the media played a big role in her life the way it did can be very traumatizing and it can really break even the strongest person," Kim wrote, per People. "No matter how public someone's life may seem, no one deserves to be treated with such cruelty or judgement for entertainment." Kim, now a mother of four, recalled being criticized and even made fun of while pregnant with North. She was suffering preeclampsia, she explained, and it caused her body to "swell uncontrollably." Kim recalled crying "every single day over what was happening to my body" as tabloids made assumptions and compared her figure to those of what they deemed to be acceptable for pregnant women. "It really broke me," Kim said, adding, "to say this didn't take a toll on me mentally would be a lie." In closing, she made a plea that, "everyone involved in the business of shaming and bullying someone to the point of breaking them down might reconsider and instead try to show some understanding and compassion." Ultimately, she said she's learned that "it's always better to lead with kindness."
Billie Eilish begs fans to 'be nice' to her ex after film documents their breakup
Billie Eilish issued a request that her fans "be nice" as her ex, rapper 7:AMP (Brandon Q. Adams), was targeted on social media following the release of "The World's a Little Blurry," a new Apple TV+ doc about her life. At certain points, the film shows Billie and "Q," as she calls him, mid-relationship before they give up on the romance, seemingly between 2018 and 2019. According to PopBuzz, fans responded by calling Q out on social media. Whatever they said made enough of an impact that he reportedly deleted his Instagram account, though he's since returned. "To the fansssss🥰 remember to be nice to people no matter what! i love you guys thank you for protecting me but be nice!!" Billie wrote on her Instagram Story on Thursday, March 4. Q, meanwhile, explained on his own Stories that he was "dealing with my brother's death," which was "fresh" around the time his relationship with Billie went down the tubes. "Sometimes you have to be alone to cope," he wrote. "Sometimes people disagree and don't want the same things as one another. It's on you to understand there's several point of views to a situation." He added, "[no love is ever lost], but I refuse to be bashed." "The World's a Little Blurry" was hailed by Deadline this week as "the biggest hit title for young adult audiences that Apple has had so far."
Rachel Lindsay on Chris Harrison's apology: This is not about 'Chris versus Rachel'
Whatever happens with "The Bachelor" franchise and Chris Harrison in the wake of his apology for defending a contestant's racially offensive behavior is not about Rachel Lindsay — it's about Chris and everyone currently involved with the franchise. That's the point Rachel made on her "Higher Learning" podcast this week after Chris appeared on "Good Morning America" to discuss his temporary exit as host. "I'm not going to give any opinion on what I think should happen with the franchise, what I think his role should be moving forward," she said, according to ET. "I think something is getting lost here. And that is, I'm not on the show anymore." Rachel went on to remind listeners she's already appeared on "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette," she's found Bryan Abasolo and she's "moved on." "I think we need to be hearing from the people who are currently in the franchise and for the future people who are coming on the show," she explained. "What Chris did has a trickle down effect for all people of color who were affiliated with the franchise and who will be in the future, assuming it continues. We need to be asking them how they feel. … What their feelings are about how the franchise should be moving forward. And nobody is," she said. "Everybody wants to ask me. Everybody's making this Chris versus Rachel, instead of looking at what he said and the impact that it is having on people of color in this franchise and beyond. People who watch that interview and were offended by it." The "Extra" correspondent, who was interviewing Chris when he defended Rachael Kirkconnell's resurfaced offensive photos, added that she "had to accept" Chris' apology so she could move on, then concluded, "Let's move forward …"
Adele's divorce from Simon Konecki finalized two years after their split
Adele is officially single nearly two years after announcing she and Simon Konecki were calling it quits. On Thursday, March 4, a judge signed off on their divorce following the former couple's agreement on their divorce settlement, ET reported this week. Adele and Simon began dating in 2011 and welcomed their son, Angelo, the following year. The singer revealed they'd tied the knot during a concert in 2017. Though she's since been rumored to be dating rapper Skepta, she assured fans on social media in October that she was very much single.