Johnny Depp's lawyers slam claims social media swayed jury Amber Heard in defamation trial
Johnny Depp's lawyers are slamming claims Amber Heard may have been targeted by an online smear campaign that influenced the outcome of Johnny and Amber's recent defamation trial. Speaking to Savannah Guthrie on "Today" on June 8, attorneys Ben Chew and Camille Vasquez were asked if Johnny or anyone on his team coaxed or paid fans to drag Amber and support Johnny, on social media, as the pair's claims of abuse played out via livestream from the Virginia courtroom. "Categorically false," Camille said. Ben called the notion "baseless." On June 1, the jury found Johnny and Amber had defamed each other. But they found Amber's 2018 Washington Post op-ed about surviving domestic abuse, which Johnny originally sued his ex-wife over, was more malicious than statements another lawyer for the "Pirates of the Caribbean" star made about Amber's claims Johnny assaulted her. Johnny was awarded $13.35 million in damages (later reduced in accordance with Virginia law), while Amber was awarded $2 million. Amber was criticized mercilessly on social media over the course of the six week trial, and since the jury was not sequestered, Amber's lawyer has called foul on the whole thing. "There's no way they couldn't have been influenced by [what was on social media], and it was horrible," Elaine Charlson Bredehoft said last week on "Today." "It really, really was lopsided." Asked if jurors may have been influenced by the press and social media coverage of the trial, Ben said, "No, I don't think there's any reason to believe that the jurors violated their oath." Said Camille: "It is everywhere, but at the same time, [jurors] were admonished every single night. And they had a tremendous amount of respect for the court and the process, and they were doing the best that they could." After his swell of support on TikTok, Johnny joined the platform this week and thanked fans.
RELATED: Hollywood's best and worst courtroom fashion through the years
Nick Cannon confirms he's having more babies this year
Nick Cannon's talk show was canceled in March after one season, but his babymaker brand seems to have no expiration date. On June 7's "Lip Service" podcast, the "Masked Singer" host and soon-to-be father of eight revealed the baby he and Bre Tiesi are expecting won't be the only new addition to his growing brood in 2022. Asked about social media claims he has "three babies on the way" this year, the 41-year-old, who welcomed three children in 2021, initially got coy. "When you say 'on the way,' … what count are you at?" he asked. "Let's just put it this way … the stork is on the way." Though he didn't confirm how many stork visits are in the works, he hinted there could be at least three more little ones in his near future, teasing, "if you thought it was a lot of kids last year …" Nick also discussed his apparently brief experience with celibacy, recalling that it started around October after his therapist told him he "needed to chill out." "I didn't even make it" to January, he said, citing his depression over the death of his 5-month-old son, Zen, which he and Alyssa Scott announced in December 2021. "Everybody saw I was down," Nick continued. He went on to say sex seemed like a potential "cure" at the time. "I fell victim to it 'cause I was in a weak state … So December, especially right before Christmas … I broke the celibacy," he recalled. "But I was probably celibate for a month and a half strong … I was trying to do it. I had a new show, new energy, I was dealing with a lot." When the podcast's co-hosts asked if the new babies would be arriving in September and October, Nick laughed and admitted, "Y'all are pretty good at math."
Kanye West is 'taking a year off,' collaborator says
Kanye West is reportedly taking a year-long break from music amid his custody drama with Kim Kardashian and other personal matters. In an interview with Complex published on June 8, the music star's frequent collaborator, Vory, mentions Kanye's current situation while discussing their friendship. "I was just talking to him today," Vory says. "We've been talking through my best friend, who's also his assistant, because he hasn't been wanting to talk to anybody. He's taking a year off, and he was like, 'D***, you think Vory is going to be mad at me if I don't go to his release party?' And I was like, 'Nah, you're straight, bro.'" Vory adds, "He's battling his own s***." Though it's unclear when the interview was conducted, Kanye's grown quieter on social media in recent weeks. He also seems to have reigned in his penchant for attacking Kim's boyfriend, Pete Davidson, although his new track, "True Love" sees the rapper lamenting about spending less time with the former couple's four children in the wake of their split. Kim filed for divorce in February 2021. As he turned 46 on June 8, Kanye got plenty of love on social media from his seemingly on-again girlfriend, 24-year-old Chaney Jones, who gushed, "Happy birthday baby, I love youuuuuuu" alongside pics and video of the two.
RELATED: Why Lori Harvey and Michael B. Jordan broke up, plus more splits of 2022
Samantha, Carrie will keep texting in Season 2 of 'And Just Like That,' despite Kim Cattrall, Sarah Jessica Parker rift
Call the rift between Kim Cattrall and Sarah Jessica Parker what you will, but make no mistake — their "Sex and the City" characters will still be in contact in the second season of "And Just Like That." Showrunner Michael Patrick King confirmed Samantha Jones and Carrie Bradshaw will still be texting from afar in a new interview with Variety published this week, though he stopped short of commenting on SJP's recent claim her years-long off-camera schism with Kim was one-sided, coming only from Kim, and deeply "painful." In the first season of HBO Max's "SATC" reboot, viewers learned about Samantha's life in Paris via texts Carrie was getting and a narrative in which the two had a falling out over Carrie's decision to let Samantha go as her publicist. Michael Patrick shared little else about Season 2, which won't start streaming until next year. "It's all so new right now. One of my big rules is don't tell things until they're real," he told the outlet. "My goal is to bring all the characters into the mix together so that they're not so much on separate runways."
Kris Jenner shuts down rumors she's secretly married to Corey Gamble
Looks like the Kardashians' fans aren't the only ones who think Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble may have secretly tied the knot. A new preview for the June 9 episode of "The Kardashians" shows Khloe Kardashian grilling her mom about the status of her relationship with her significant other. "I've heard from so many people that you're secretly married," Khloe challenges Kris in the clip (via E! News). "No, I'm not secretly married," Kris, 66, says with a laugh. Khloe then asks Kris to display her hands, and sure enough, there's a big yellow rock on her left ring finger. "Hmm, looks like …," Khloe says before her mom cuts her off. "Stop. You think I'm gonna get married and not have a big-a** party?!" she asks. "I'm not secretly married. I swear to God on all my kids and daddy." The couple has apparently taken the next step, though. The clip also features Kris gushing that she's now living with Corey, 41. "He's been so amazing moving into the house because he really handles everything. There's so much security," Kris says. "I love that side of him, because he's always really protective." The stars have reportedly been together since 2014. The last round of engagement and wedding rumors about the couple surfaced in April, courtesy of Kris' massive sparkler.
Foo Fighters announce Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concerts as late drummer's wife speaks out
The Foo Fighters are returning to the stage in honor of their late drummer, Taylor Hawkins, who died in March at age 50 shortly before a scheduled performance in Bogota, Columbia. On June 8, the Dave Grohl-fronted band announced a pair of "all-star," Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concerts are planned for London's Wembley Stadium on Sept. 3 and The Kia Forum in Los Angeles on Sept. 27. Presented by the band and the Hawkins family, the concerts will feature some of the artists Taylor "idolized," along with the drummer's "Foo Fighters brothers in celebration of Taylor's memory and his legacy as a global rock icon," the band said in a press release, promising fans would see the late musician's "bandmates and his inspirations playing the songs that he fell in love with, and the ones he brought to life." Taylor's wife, Alison, also shared her first statement since her husband's death, thanking "fans far and wide" for their love and support. "Your kindness has been an invaluable comfort my family and me during this time of unimaginable grief," she continued. "As Taylor's wife, and on behalf of our children, I want to share how much you meant to him and how dedicated he was to 'knocking your socks off' during every performance." Alison, who shares three children with the late Grammy winner, also said her husband's "endearing spirit" would "live on" through the music he made with the Foos and others. Amid news of his death this spring, tributes flooded social media, with artists from Mick Jagger, Joan Jett and Jimmy Page to Miley Cyrus and Travis Barker honoring Taylor's legacy.
Harvey Weinstein to face indecent assault charges in London
Harvey Weinstein is set to face two counts of indecent assault in the U.K. stemming from an alleged incident in 1996 in London, the Crown Prosecution Service announced on June 8. The news comes as the former movie producer awaits trial in Los Angeles on forcible rape charges while serving a 23-year sentence following a felony sex crimes conviction in New York. The charges were authorized "following a review of the evidence gathered by the Metropolitan Police in its investigation," according to CPS special crime division head, Rosemary Ainslie. A woman who's reportedly now in her 50s accused Harvey, 70, of the assault, police said. Sexual harassment and assault allegations against the former producer by actresses including Rose McGowan, Ashley Judd and Rosanna Arquette, have been credited with sparking the #MeToo Movement. His attempt to appeal his conviction in New York was dismissed earlier this month.