August Alsina on why he went public with his affair with Jada Pinkett Smith and whether he's seen her 'Red Table Talk'
August Alsina, the 27-year-old singer Jada Pinkett Smith was involved with during a rocky period of her marriage to Will Smith, has opened up about why he went public with their affair in an interview with "The Breakfast Club" last month. "This became very complex for me because we're all public figures, and there was a lot of chatter around my name and her name," August told Vulture in an interview published Friday, July 17. "I'm pretty expressive. And when I love something or love someone, I express that. Over time, I was expressing my love externally and outwardly, and when you are in a situation, and you super in love, it's like … I don't care what anybody thinks. This is just how I feel." In this case, though, he said it wasn't that easy. "People looked at me as this problematic guy who was super reckless, like I'm pushing up on someone's wife. … I didn't like the sound of that, especially when it wasn't the truth." The singer explained how that vibe began to "eat at" his "soul," but said it also affected his "business relationships" and ability to earn a living for himself and his late sister's daughters, whom he cares for. Eventually, he said he felt "the need to speak my truth." Once he did, Jada and Will discussed her relationship with August at length in a bombshell "Red Table Talk." They also assured fans their marriage is back in a good place. Things have apparently gone in a positive direction for August, too. Many of those who had criticized him apologized, he told Vulture. "I felt it necessary to get it out off of my spirit and clear the air," the singer said. Jada met August through her son, Jaden Smith, in 2015. As she said on her Facebook Watch series, things got romantic while she and Will temporarily separated. August, meanwhile, told Vulture he hasn't seen the episode. As for the online jokes about Jada's use of the word "entanglement" to describe her relationship with the younger star, August sees no problem with it. "But I definitely have to agree with it being an entanglement," he said. "It definitely was something complicated, a complicated dynamic."
Keep reading to see how Tyler Perry is bringing together the Atlanta police Department and his community …
RELATED: Notorious celeb cheating scandals
Tyler Perry buys 1,000 gift cards for Atlanta police to distribute to the community
Tyler Perry's local angel mission continues. After offering to pay for the funeral for Rayshard Brooks, who was killed by Atlanta police after being found asleep in his car, as well as the college educations of Brooks' four children, Tyler Perry came up with a way to connect his local Atlanta law enforcement with people in the community. According to People, the "Madea" creator recently bought 1,000 gift cards to the grocery chain Kroger, then enlisted police officers to go door-to-door in diferent neighborhoods, handing them out. "This is about the community that I love, that I live in and work in," the actor, producer and director told People in a statement. "This is about good people who are in need of a hand up not a hand out. This is about the good police officers who do their job well every day some of which are my personal friends. This is about trying to bridge unity in a city that adopted me and held me up high enough to reach my own branch on the tree of success." He added, "I love Atlanta and its people!" The good Samaritan move comes as Tyler's hometown struggles amid ongoing violence, both as a result of conflicts related to police brutality and the recent wave of protests it's inspired and related to the uptick in gun violence being experienced by large cities nationwide as the pandemic continues. In June, the director also donated a cargo van to Project U First, an Atlanta-based women's organization that provides "people in need the basics for health, hygiene and love." This spring, he surprised elderly shoppers at 44 Atlanta Kroger stores and 29 Winn Dixie stores in New Orleans, where he was born, by covering their entire bill.
RELATED: Stars react to George Floyd's death
Carrie Ann Inaba 'cried' over Tom Bergeron, Erin Andrews firings, but looks forward to welcoming 'visionary' new host Tyra Banks
"Dancing With the Stars" judge Carrie Ann Inaba is still processing ABC's "sudden news" that longtime hosts Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews won't return to the show for the upcoming season. "My heart breaks for Tom and Erin," Carrie Ann said on an episode of "The Talk" slated to air July 21 (via JustJared). "I cried when I heard the news, as well as, I think, a lot of our fans did," she continued. Earlier this week, after Tom and Erin tweeted about the change, the network confirmed its plans to go in a different creative direction with the show. That turned out to be bringing Tyra Banks on as both host and executive producer. "People have been saying that Tyra is the first Black host of 'Dancing with the Stars,' and I just want to clarify [that's not the case], because Season 1 we had Lisa Canning… ," she continued. (It's worth noting here that Tyra will be the show's first solo Black host, a point that's been referenced by various press outlets.) "Also, I don't think that's how we should be labeling [Tyra]. She's our new host. Period. It has nothing to do with the color of her skin," Carrie Ann said. "I think it has to do with all that Tyra Banks is. All the energy she has. She's like a visionary, she's a strong, powerful woman … I think we're in good hands. It's different, the fans are going to have to get used to it, I understand that, but I think we should welcome her." Asked if she and the other judges are expected to return, Carrie Ann said "as of now that is the plan," adding that producers will "make the official announcement in a few weeks" after more details have been worked out. "I don't want people to worry," Carrie Ann added. "It seems like everything is OK."
RELATED: 'DWTS' romances and showmances
Naya Rivera's fans announce candlelight vigil for the late star at Lake Piru
In the wake of Naya Rivera's death, fans are planning to hold a candle light vigil for the late actress and singer at Lake Piru in Ventura County California, where she was boating with her son before she went missing on July 8. ET reports the vigil is being organized by fan account @NayaArmy. "Come celebrate her life," a flyer for the event posted by ET reads, "and see the joy she brought many of her fans." The vigil is scheduled for 5 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 1, at 4780 Piru Canyon Road, where the lake's recreation area is. On Monday, the day authorities located Naya's body, her former "Glee" costars were photographed visiting the lake, where they looked out on the water together while holding hands before one another. Naya, is believed to have helped her son to safety before accidentally drowning. She was 33.
Jim Carrey reflects on his near-death experience … that turned out to be 'part of a drill'
The cover of Jim Carrey's new semi-autobiographical, satirical memoir, "Memoirs and Misinformation," shows the comic's face, wavy and close-up, partially covered by what looks like either granules of water or a sonar image. "That cover is actually my face after being told that I had 10 minutes to live," the 58-year-old explained Thursday on "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" (via Page Six). "And that's for real," he continued. "A fake missile alert in Hawaii. I was there. I was writing. My assistant Linda called me, she was crying, she said, 'We have 10 minutes left.' I said, 'What do you mean?' She said, 'The missiles are coming.'"Jim was referring to an incident on Jan. 13, 2018, when an alert appeared on the cell phones of a number of people in Hawaii. It said, "Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii. Seek immediate shelter. This is not a drill." It later turned out that it was, in fact, "part of a drill," according to the Post. But Jim didn't know that and he tried evacuate — unsuccessfully. "I couldn't get off the island," he recalled on "The Tonight Show." "The question was posed — should we all try to get together? I said, 'I don't want to die in my car.' And we had to say goodbye." Figuring he only had a few moments left alive, he opted to embrace the ocean view from the island of Lanai. "I just decided to go through a list of gratitudes. Honest to God, I just could not stop thinking of wonderful things that have happened to me and blessings that I've had," he said. "It was lovely. And I got to a point of grace with about two minutes to spare when I found out it wasn't actually happening. And all I was planning to do was close my eyes and be thankful because it's been a good ride." So what happened when he found out the whole thing was just a drill? "Then I got pissed off and heads rolled!" he joked. "Memoirs and Misinformation" is out now,
In recent weeks, Tom Hanks has repeatedly urged the public to abide by CDC safety protocols when it comes to flattening the coronavirus curves, and wear a mask, stay six feet away from others and wash your hands regularly. Now, it's Rita Wilson's turn. The celeb couple were Hollywood's first A-listers to contract COVID-19. Unlike many COVID-19 patients, they both recovered safely. As a political debate takes over the conversation about mask-wearing, which is proven to reduce transmission of the coronavirus, Rita checked in with Gayle King on "CBS This Morning" on Friday to share her take on the situation. In a nutshell? She's confused. "Why wouldn't you wear a mask if it's good for your health? It doesn't make sense," she said (via THR). "I don't understand why something that's so easy to do has become an issue or something that people are coming up against." Gayle agreed. "You know the mask is uncomfortable," she admitted. "But you know what else is uncomfortable? Dying."
Khloe Kardashian says she and Tristan Thompson are just 'in a really good space, not dating
For months now, reconciliation rumors have followed Khloe Kardashian and her ex, Tristan Thompson, who appear to have spent much of the pandemic together with their daughter, True. In spite of their Fourth of July get-together and their seemingly cozy appearance at a birthday party in June, Khoe is adamant that their relationship is platonic and focused on their little girl. "We're doing a great job and I'm really grateful that we're able to," Khloe said on E!'s Daily Pop Thursday (via the Daily Mail)."I come from a family that, you know, my mom and my dad, they would have dinner once a week. And my stepdad and my dad would play golf once a week together," she explained. "So, I come from a family that … just because people aren't together doesn't mean you have to be rude or they're out of your life. You share children with them and you want to kind of have this blended family. So, I'm just used to that. I'm sure it's so weird to so many people." She added that Tristan has been "amazing" and "so helpful" as she navigates the new normal brought on by the COVID-19 crisis. Finally, she reminded viewers that because her ex needs to be in True's life, it makes sense to allow him into hers. "Tristan and I are in a really good space …," she said. "Why make it difficult for myself for the rest of my life? I have to deal with him. He's [True's] dad and he's a great dad to her. I'm not gonna drag my feet, I'll make it as good as I can. Because that would be harder on me."
Billy Joel tinkles the ivories of a curbside piano in viral fan video
NBD, just Billy Joel, proving his Piano Man prowess on a curbside, discarded piano in the 'burbs. That's what a group of lucky onlookers stumbled upon a few weeks ago after the legendary recording artist spotted someone's trashed keys on the sidewalk on New York's Long Island. According to the New York Post, via fans' cell phone video that's since gone viral, Billy, 71, was riding his motorcycle when he saw the instrument and got off to see how it sounded. Turns out it sounded just fine. Billy reportedly hammered out a version of the 1917 ragtime hit turned jazz standard, "Darktown Strutters' Ball." "Not bad!" Billy says in a clip posted to YouTube. "The action is good. It just needs tuning … [it's] a perfectly good piano," he adds. "It's a shame to throw it out." Chatting with people who had gathered around him, he says the instrument "should at least be donated to St. Vincent de Paul or something." As he continues to play, he adds, "These are laminated keys, the pedals work, the action is great. The mechanics are perfect." His rep later confirmed to People that it was Billy in the video. No word, as of this week, on the fate of the piano.
Caitlyn Jenner jokes she's pitching herself to be Kanye West's running mate
In the one national presidential poll that's incorporated Kanye West into the running for 2020, he only scored 2 percent of the vote. But maybe he could improve that number by beefing up his ticket with another member of the the Kardashian-Jenner family. TMZ posted a video this week that showed a reporter walking alongside Caitlyn Jenner as she headed to her car after picking up coffee in Los Angeles. The guy can be heard asking if she plans to vote for Kanye. Caitlyn's answer is somewhat garbled but it sounds like she replies, "I'll text him and say, 'Why don't I be your V.P.," adding that it would be a "great combination." Though the audio's grainy, it's audible enough to hear that she's joking. In his controversial Forbes interview, Kanye mentions Michelle Tidball as a possible running mate, assuming he actually runs. Kanye's filed to get on the ballot in Oklahoma and organized a campaign committee, but he's reportedly missed the deadline to get on the ballot in at least one key state.
Judge rules Mo'Nique's Netflix discrimination suit can proceed
Mo'Nique has a green light to proceed with her discrimination lawsuit against Netflix after the streaming giant failed to get the case dismissed. USA Today reports the Oscar winner filed suit against Netflix at the end of 2019, claiming that after it offered her a "lowball" $500,000 for a comedy special — a number the actress says is way below what white comics have been paid for similar productions — the company refused to negotiate further, going against standard industry practice. The federal judge overseeing the case found Mo'Nique's lawyers' argument "novel," he said, and decided in Mo'Nique's favor to allow the case to proceed. The suit also points to an offer Netflix gave Amy Schumer that was allegedly "26 times more per show than Mo'Nique." "Today's ruling is an important victory for Hollywood talent who, just like all other workers, need protections against retaliation if they raise concerns about pay discrimination during the hiring process," the star's lawyer said. Speaking to USA Today in 2019, Netflix said that while the company "takes accusations of discrimination very seriously," it maintained $500k was fair.